B-1 Chiang Kai-shek Shilin Residence

Chiang Kai-shek Shilin Residence
The former official residence of Chiang Kai-shek and Madam Chiang maintains a quiet and attractive garden. The garden is full of plums, chrysanthemums and roses favored by the Chiang couple. Flowers bloom according to season and make for a stunning view throughout much of the year.

Chiang Kai-shek Shilin Residence Park
he CKS Shilin Residence Park is located in Shilin District, to the southeast of where Section 5, Zhongshan N. Road and Fulin Road meet. Surrounded by the Fushan hills, this 9.28-hectare park was named after the late R.O.C. President Chiang Kai-shek, who lived on its premises in 1950. It has well-preserved, enchanting scenic resources both in the outer and inner gardens, the principal room, the greenhouse for potted orchids, the rose garden, Victory Chapel, the New Orchid Pavilion and the Ciyun Pavilion, due to construction projects or renovations having been prohibited in the neighborhood for national security reasons. The Chinese-style inner garden is landscaped with a stream running under an artificial bridge, rock gardens, peculiarly shaped rocks, and a red-painted Chinese summerhouse, whereas the European-style outer garden with carpet bed of exuberant flowers, serves as a theme venue for the annual chrysanthemum exhibitions. The rose garden features 200 species and 4,000-odd plants with roses of varied hues during the peak blooming period from November through April, and was Madame Chiang’s favorite location for leisurely strolls. While the Chiang family was baptized in a Christian ceremony and held worship services in the Victory Chapel, the New Orchid Pavilion (aka Longevity Pavilion) is a Chinese-style quadrangular structure built in 1950 to host Mr. Chiang’s birthday celebrations; it also serves as a venue for various orchid shows. On Mt. Fushan is the Ciyun Pavilion, a two-story square summerhouse built in memory of Mr. Chiang’s mother. After being open to the public in 1996, the CKS Shilin Residence Park has undergone many continued renovation projects to become a scenic, recreational spot in downtown Taipei with enhanced quality and quantity of services, besides brilliant zoning and construction plans.

B-2 National Martyrs’ Shrine

the shrine of the martyrs is located next to the maruyama hotel, with its back to the green mountain, facing the keelung river. built in the 58th year of the republic of china (1969 ad), it covers a vast area, and the main building type imitates the taihe hall of the forbidden city in beijing, which is majestic and magnificent, symbolizing the fearless spirit of the martyrs. the green meadows of more than 10,000 pings surrounding the shrine of the martyrs create a quiet and solemn atmosphere in the arches of the mountains, which also highlights the solemnity of the building.‎

‎the shrine enshrines the revolutionary martyrs from before the founding of the republic of china, and the martyrs’ tablets who have sacrificed their lives loyally and bravely over the years, and on the four walls of the main hall, the photos and deeds of the heroic martyrs are displayed. every spring and autumn, the head of state leads hundreds of civil and military officials to pay tribute. the heads of state and dignitaries of friendly countries visiting taiwan will also come here to pay their respects.‎

‎every october, the martyrs’ shrine is packed with groups of overseas returnees. it is worth mentioning that the guards standing guard in front of the gate of the martyrs’ shrine resemble statues, which shows the rigor of training! tourists who often gather to watch are amazed and appreciated, and the hourly guard handover ceremony is even more distinctive and worth seeing.‎